Saturday 16 February 2013

London. February 2013

This week's trip was a couple of days in London. 

The main reason for our visit was to see Cirque du Soleil's 'Kooza'. After our previous attempt to see it resulting in its cancellation due to technical problems, needless to say I was itching to see it!

It was worth the wait!

Just spectacular on every level! The acts, costumes, make-up, staging, and music were all amazing! I had seen this show years ago on DVD, but nothing compares to the live performance - We sat there with our jaws dropped throughout. Although I do find myself distracted at times with my curiosity and amazement at how the staging was constructed, how hard the acts have trained, how the concepts were thought up, how much material was needed to create the vast sheets billowing at the sides of the stage, etc etc...

I have a love for the theatre (after studying it at school), and even more so for circus performances such as this. When I can tear myself away from glass making, I engross myself in pole dancing, poi, stilt-walking, and other circus-related activities. So I can certainly appreciate and admire the skill involved in putting a show like this together, if only on a basic level. 

Queue the day dreaming of running away with them one day...

So it now strikes me...Why have I not thought to take influence from this fascination and transfer it to my glass work? Probably not in the literal sense by glassblowing whilst hanging upside-down from a trapeze, but by taking aspects such as balance, colour, and strength. 
-Something to work on.

After seeing Kooza, Totem (what an amazing birthday viewing that was!), and Alegria, I can't wait to see the next show that comes this way!




Rain Room
Up and out first thing in the morning, after 4 previously failed attempts, we were determined to see 'Rain Room' at the Barbican, by Random International. We joined the queue an hour and a half before it opened, and after about a 2 hour wait (a perfect opportunity to do some knitting!) we were let in. 
Now this was my kind of art! The first thing that hits you is the sound coming from around the curve, through the darkness. It completely changes the atmosphere. The ceiling is covered in panels that throw down heavy rain. Stand at the edge watching as others pass through the downpour before you start to creep through yourself. Sensors detect your movements creating your own invisible umbrella. Then moving further in, the veil of water closes behind you, sealing you in. It's  quite magical and very calming.

It is certainly something you have to experience in person to fully appreciate, but for a better idea, there are some videos of the exhibition here. There have also been some dance performances running on a few dates in Rain Room which would have been really interesting to see. 

Rain Room

Our next stop was London Glassblowing studio. However we accidentally stumbled upon Borough Market, so it would have been rude not to have a look around! There was just too many delicious things to choose from!

Tearing ourselves away from the food, we continued on to London Glassblowing. Somehow I'd never visited before (?!), so it was great to finally see it. The Coalesce exhibition was on with some fantastic work. My favourite pieces were definitely those of Bruce Marks. -beautiful colours and form. Of course, Peter Layton's work was wonderful to see up close, but that's a given! It was lovely to meet him briefly. 


Bruce Marks


Louis Thompson


I spied these pieces (above) by Louis Thompson which I was intrigued by. I don't know what it is about them that's so appealing? Louis and Bruce were both making in the studio, so we watch for a bit as they worked their magic.  

The Shard
To top it all off, the sun was shining for most of the trip, so we got a glorious view of the new Shard building up close. I rather like it, and after watching a documentary on how it was constructed, I am also seriously impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment